Friday, September 7, 2012

Down the River


Author's Note: After brainstorming for my first writing piece of the eighth grade year, I finally came to the conclusion of writing about one of my experiences from the summer, particularly because it's fresh in my mind right now. In this piece I will be working on better vocabulary, using techniques such as alliteration and personification, and having better transitions .

I'm coasting through the water, effortlessly gliding with the current of the Wisconsin River. I paddle with a consistent gentle stroke in the water which creates an even balance between the front and back of the canoe. Luckily the weather threatening to postpone our trip earlier has ceased to exist. I'm about to call this day perfect when I look back and see that one of the other canoes can't manage to stay straight. The two girls in the canoe are yelling at each other over who is supposed to steer, and they're about to run into a tree. Our camp counselor tells us to hold up and stop at a sand bar to let them catch up.

Once the rest of the group is gathered we decide that a different arrangement is needed. Unfortunately that means my canoe gets mixed with the clueless canoe, and me getting a new paddling partner. As we set off again, I quickly realize why the other canoe was having trouble before. My partner puts no strength whatsoever into each stroke, and constantly stops paddling for no apparent reason leaving me to make up for the slack on both sides of the canoe. However, as the day goes on I start to get into a rhythm of making sure we don't suddenly veer to the left causing us to crash into a fallen log or tree. 

As the sun sets, the group comes to a consensus to stop to set up camp. We explore the limited island of sand and trees, finding interesting footprints of different species that live here. Once we head back to the canoes, the counselors make dinner while we set up our "three" person tents for the night. Then after our delicious dinner, we decide to go swimming to wash off all of the sunscreen and bug spray. I'm barely in the water when I start to notice the difference. The feeling of swimming in a major river is different from anything I've ever experienced. The strong current threatens to sweep us down the river so we must pay a lot of attention to the land around us. What may feel like standing still is really the river slowly nudging me down the river. I constantly have to resist the current to make sure I don’t drift out of standing ability. As the sun makes its last appearance for the day, we head into shore to prepare ourselves for the day ahead.

The next day is long, as in thirteen miles long. At the end I'm thankful to finally lie down, and let my arms dangle at my side after a grueling day of paddling. Twenty-one miles down, nine to go for tomorrow's adventure. We make a nice meal of spaghetti on our cook stove and jolly ranchers for dessert. Unfortunately s'mores won't work now because of the burn ban, but jolly ranchers will due. After cleaning up I can say we all fell asleep pretty quick from the exhausting day. The temperature is perfect when we fall asleep and cool in the morning with a heavy fog. Camping on a river sure does give you a lot of moisture in the air.

Thankfully this is the last time we will have to go through the long process of packing up our belongings, and because we've done it so many times, we're pros. I think we set a record time. The sun continues to rise in the sky and in temperature and I can feel it burning my skin. Sunscreen isn't always the most reliable protector to use when you're constantly getting wet.  We set off for the last nine miles with a renewed energy. The feeling of the finish line is drawing near. When we stop for a snack nobody wastes time. The canoes are off of the sand bar before the food bin is even completely closed. Approximately two miles left according to our counselors.

My paddle seems to hit the water more often now, and so does my partners. The unfortunate part is her strokes are less powerful. We start to turn so I have to lighten up on my side of the canoe which sadly slows us down. Luckily we're not the last canoe though so we have some room for error. Once I set back into a stride, I paddle constantly for approximately one and a half miles. Then I see the bridge off in the distance, and know that we've almost reached our destination. Everybody's spirit lifts after the first spotting of the bridge. We move with more drive, especially when compared to day one. When the opening comes, we must fight the current to get off the river. I paddle so hard I feel like my arms are about to fall off. We make it in the small side creek with such speed, that the second the current is no longer a problem we crash into a wall of rocks. Luckily there's no damage to the canoe, it is a rental after all. The feeling of accomplishment spreads its way through the group until we're all grinning from ear to ear.

When we pull into shore we pack the van with our belongings, leaving the canoes and paddles for the rental company. Driving away today I don't know which emotion is stronger; pride, accomplishment, or relief.                      

4 comments:

  1. Amazing as usual! I love ever bit of it; there is some humor here and there and it really keeps this piece going. Your description is so incredible that it feels like I am there, too! The vocabulary is very appropriate for this piec and so are the transitions. I liked the personification and alliteration I saw here and there, too; it blends in with your piece so well, you can hardly notice the advanced devices you use. Over all, your amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love how you started this piece with the descriptive bit where I can really picture the scene. I also love how you made your readers really connected to this piece by really stressing your emotions: the exhaustion, the pride, and the relief. Your ending statement is amazing I feel like it wrapped up your piece PERFECTLY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this piece!!! I thought that you were able to meet your goals. The only thing that I would say is . . . . "wow"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Callie, this is a beautifully written piece. You not only have a really well developed anecdote here, but you manage to place small thematic lessons for the reader -- insights you share. I am impressed by the language usage, and I believe you clearly hit your goal laid out in the author's note. Your humor is delightful, and the way that you relate the bit about the poor paddling partner reflected your gentle nature, and desire to not be mean while at the same time feeling frustrated at her failing efforts at canoeing! Where did this take place? If I had to be critical, I would say this could even be stretched into a longer non-fiction piece if you were to bring the setting to life with descriptors, allowing the reader to "live" in the story, and experience it more fully with you. The part where you write about feeling the major river push you, and threaten to carry you away, is the sort of detail I mean, so I know you can do it well. If you'd like to talk about this in more detail, I would love to do so. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete